Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine November! | All Issues

User Tag List

Like Tree56Likes

8 types of Hindu marriages

Discussions on "8 types of Hindu marriages" in "Weddings" forum.

jv_66 is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Jayanthy

Re: 8 types of Hindu marriages

Surya Darshanam Dhyaanam Va (meditating on the sun)

Looking at or mentally visualising the sun (Surya), to give them power to lead a creative, useful and meaningful life.
    The bride and the bridegroom together pray:
    O God, who art the illuminator of the sun, may we, through thy grace live for a hundred years, hear for a hundred years, and speak for a hundred years. And may we never be dependent upon anybody. May we likewise live even beyond a hundred years! -
    Hriday sparsh (touching the heart)

Touching the heart of the bride, the bridegroom says:
    May I have hearty co-operation from these in the performance of my duties. May thou be of one mind with me. May thou be consentient to my speech. May the Lord of creation unite thee to me!
    The bride:
    May I have hearty co-operation from these in the performance of my duties. May thou be of one mind with me. May thou be consentient to my speech. May the Lord of creation unite thee to me!
    Dhruva Dhyaanam Darshanam Va (meditating on the Pole star and the Arundhati star)

The Pole star is stationary and fixed in its position, likewise the couple is expected to be steadfast and firm in fulfilling their vows and responsibilities.
    The bride:
    Just as the star Arundhathi is attached to the star Vasishtha, so may I be ever firmly attached to my husband! Placing his hand upon the bride’s forehead
    The bridegroom:
    As the heavens are permanently stable, as the earth is permanently stable, as these mountains are permanently stable, and as the entire universe is permanent stable, so may my wife be permanently settled in our family! - (Addressing the bride): Thou are the Pole star; I see in thee stability and firmness. Mayst thou ever be steadfast in thy affection for me. The great God has united thee with me. Mayst thou live with me, blessed with children, for a hundred years!
    Anna Praashanam (partaking of food)

In the last symbolic rite the couple make offerings of food with chantings of Vedic Havan Mantras (oblations of food in the Sacred fire). Having done that, the couple feed a morsel of food to each other from the residue of the offerings. This being the symbolic expression of mutual love and affection.
    Aashirvadah (blessing)

Placing his hand upon the forehead of the bride, the bridegroom says:
    Ye men and women present here, behold this virtuous bride possessed of high attainments, and before ye disperse, give her your blessings! All the people present shall pronounce the following blessings upon the couple.
    1. O Lord, may this couple be prosperous!
    2. O Lord, may this couple live in perpetual happiness!
    3. O Lord, may this couple be ever infused with love for each other. May this couple be blessed with children and grandchildren and live in the best of homes for the full period of their lives!
    4. May you two live here together. May you never be parted. May you enjoy the full span of human life in the delightful company of your happy sons and grandsons!
    Om Shantih, Shantih, Shantih.

Sponsored Links
    laddubala, janu23 and sumitra like this.
    Jayanthy

reema12 is offline Newbie

thank you for this detail...
    now I am remembering that I had read before about Gandharva Vivaha and Brmha vivaha.. But other was new for me..
    thank you so much...

Last edited by jv_66; 6th Aug 2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: External link removed
    jv_66 and sumitra like this.

jv_66 is offline Super Moderator Silver Ruler's of Penmai
    Real Name
    Jayanthy

Quote Originally Posted by reema12 View Post
    thank you for this detail...
    now I am remembering that I had read before about Gandharva Vivaha and Brmha vivaha.. But other was new for me..
    thank you so much...

Welcome Reema

sumitra likes this.
    Jayanthy

pezlindalo is offline Newbie

According to Manusmriti, or laws of Manu, there are eight different types of Hindu marriages. Not all eight have religious sanction. The last four were not ... Types of Hindu marriages vary in their rites and rituals but possess a ... Hindu mythology describes eight different types of Hindu marriages.

jv_66 and sumitra like this.

The Indian society is divided into various sects, cultures, regions and communities, according to which different festivals are celebrated and so is marriage. These matrimony types may not differ in the rituals, but can have difference in the perfect or the eligible marriage age for the Hindu bride and groom and the conditions on the basis of which the bride's family used to give away their daughter to the groom's family.

Last edited by sumathisrini; 20th Aug 2013 at 01:01 PM.
    sumitra likes this.

calebccalvin is offline Newbie

The Indian society is divided into various sects, cultures, regions and communities, according to which different festivals are celebrated and so is marriage. These matrimony types may not differ in the rituals, but can have difference in the perfect or the eligible marriage age for the Hindu bride and groom and the conditions on the basis of which the bride's family used to give away their daughter to the groom's family.

Last edited by sumathisrini; 21st Aug 2013 at 10:42 AM.
    sumitra likes this.

adairamethyst is offline Newbie

Last edited by sumathisrini; 22nd Aug 2013 at 10:48 AM.

jeyanlr6521 is offline Newbie

Last edited by jv_66; 12th Sep 2013 at 12:58 PM. Reason: External links removed

According to Manusmriti, or laws of Manu, there are eight different types of Hindu marriages. Not all eight have religious sanction. The last four were not ... Types of Hindu marriages vary in their rites and rituals but possess a ... Hindu mythology describes eight different types of Hindu marriages.

Last edited by sumathisrini; 21st Sep 2013 at 11:58 AM.

sinduja@ is offline Friends's of Penmai
    Real Name
    SINDHUJA

marriage la ipadi oru classification irukka
    thanks 4 sharing

jv_66 likes this.