Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Penmai eMagazine October! | All Issues

User Tag List

Very important diet dos & don'ts

Discussions on "Very important diet dos & don'ts" in "Weight Loss Diet and Guide" forum.

vijigermany is offline Supreme Ruler's of Penmai

My 10-year-old daughter is overweight. She doesn't eat vegetables and loves junk food. She wants to lose weight but feels deprived when she can't eat chocolates and cheese. What do I do?
    - Parikshat Kuruvilla

Childhood obesity is attaining epidemic proportions. I would say the main aim of parents is not to focus on 'weight loss' for them but 'weight maintenance. Kids will do as their parents do rather than as their parents say, so be a role model of what you want your child to eat and inculcate physical activity patterns daily. The good news is that it is far easier to change a child's eating pattern than alter an adult's.

I work in a stressful work environment and end up having several cups of caffeine a day. What can I do to curb my addiction to caffeine?
    - Sowmya Gupta
    Coffee may be used as a catalyst to spike your energy levels instantly and definitely gives the impression of doing so. However, caffeine boosts are temporary and make you feel awful as these peaks dive down under start points of energy levels. Also coffee is a dehydrator. One cup of a caffeinated beverage leaches about two cups of water from your body. And if you are not replacing it with enough water, then you are asking for trouble. Reduce the number of cups gradually to slowly break free of this addiction. It is also a good idea to ensure good energy levels through the day. Eating every two hours will maintain your blood sugar levels, without peaks and troughs thus not causing fatigue or tiredness which warrant a cup of caffeine.

Do you recommend salads during the monsoon? I've heard that they're not very advisable this time of the year. Should I opt for soups instead?
    - Heena Shah
    The goodness of raw vegetables can never be achieved from its cooked counterparts. The powerhouse of vitamins and minerals lose their potency with the use of heat. Yes, different seasons can bring a different set of environmental pollutants, thus during the rains I'd recommend you use vegetables and fruits that can be peeled to be consumed in the raw form, for e.g., cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, beetroot, raw papaya, oranges, apples, pineapples etc. Leafy vegetables could also be rinsed with potassium permanganate to eliminate unhealthy bacteria.

I am a 47-year-old man. Recently, I was diagnosed with high cholesterol levels and told to alter my diet. What should I include and leave out from my diet?
    - Ankit Mehta
    As you know, high cholesterol levels lead to increased plaque formation that slowly starts clogging the arteries that carry blood to and from the heart. Making lifestyle changes that lower these levels go a long way to have a happy, healthy heart. Foods rich in saturated fats increase cholesterol levels further. Reduce consumption of fried foods such as chips, khari biscuits, puris, baked goods, samosas and all the other yummy goodies you so desire (especially in the monsoons) to not more than once or twice a month. Full fat milk, egg yolks, butter, shell fish, red meat should also be avoided as much as possible. Include foods like garlic, oat bran, almonds, flaxseeds to improve 'good' cholesterol. Regular cardiovascular exercise also helps achieve the same effect of improving the HDL levels that help subdue the damages of increased fats in the blood.