Horse Gram Sambhar for weight loss
Discussions on "Horse Gram Sambhar for weight loss" in "Weight Loss Diet and Guide" forum.
2nd Dec 2012, 01:41 PM #1Newbie
- Join Date
- Nov 2012
Horse Gram Sambhar for weight lossMethod
1 cup Horse Gram (washed and soaked for 1 day)
4-5 strips Tamarind soaked for 5 minutes (paste or pulp may also be used)
1/2 tbsp. Sambar Masala
1/4 tsp. Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp. Dhania powder
1/2 tsp. Red Chilli powder
1 stalk Curry leaves
1 tbsp. chopped Coriander leaves
1 cup cut and washed Vegetables that you would like to have in your sambar
Salt to taste (fried garlic can be added if needed)
2 tbsp. Oil and 4 small fried Coconut pieces.
- Pressure cook horse gram till it becomes very soft. (Approx. 5 whistles). Remove dal and grind it into a soft paste along with the fried coconut pieces.
- Add tamarind extract or juice add the cut vegetables (if onion/garlic is taken it has to be fried a bit and then added), salt sambar powder and turmeric powder to it and let it boil. After the vegetables have absorbed the tamrind juice add the dhania powder and the red chilli powder to the boiling vegetables and pour 1 glass of water.
- Heat oil, add musturd seeds, curry leaves and allow to splutter. Add the ground paste, and cook till the mixture boils. If necessary add water to get sambar consistency. Check and adjust masalas as required. Simmer for 12-15 minutes on low, till the aroma exudes.
- Add chopped coriander before serving.
- Serve steaming hot with hot idlis, plain rice and ghee or with hot dosa.
Note: If the sambar is too watery then mix 1 tsp of rice flour in very little water and mix it well in the sambar boil it again. For sambar powder fry and grind the following:1 tsp. dhania seeds, 1 tsp. cumin seeds, 1 stalk curry leaves, 1/2 tsp. methi seeds, 1 tsp of urud dal and 1/2 tsp channa dal.
2nd Dec 2012, 02:39 PM #2
Re: Horse Gram Sambhar for weight loss
Thanks for sharing this recipe Kumari.