baby's thumb sucking

hi moms

my son is 7 months old, he is having thumb sucking habit. if i take his fingers from his mouth he cries and he keep his fingers in his mouth. during sleeping also his finger is inside his mouth. how to change his habit.

Last edited:

jv_66

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Welcome to Penmai....Dharshan.

Whenever he is sucking his thumb, give some very small toys like wooden toys , so that his attention would be diverted.

Even while sleeping , you can remove the thumb from his mouth and give a small kerchief in his hand or very tiny pillow in his hand.

These may help him to come out from this habit.

If these doesn't work out,

Also you can try to apply some lemon juice in his thumb or put a small bandaid around his thumb.

Some people also apply neem oil on the thumb.

These may hinder him to keep his thumb in his mouth.

It is fine , not to encourage this habit.

Moderator's Note:This Article has been published in Penmai eMagazine March 2015. You Can download & Read the magazines HERE.

Last edited by a moderator:

gayathripattabi

Friends's of Penmai
hi pa,
join the club. en payanukum entha habit iruku. now he is 9 mths old. Dr's advice is we dont need to worry about this because it wont affect baby;s health. namma avan finger edutha vida vida than avanga innum force a try pannuvangalam. after 1 yr also if my son is doing it i il apply neem oil in his fingers. paapoam:)

Moderator's Note:This Article has been published in Penmai eMagazine March 2015. You Can download & Read the magazines HERE.

Parasakthi

Ruler's of Penmai
Blogger
hi pa,
join the club. en payanukum entha habit iruku. now he is 9 mths old. Dr's advice is we dont need to worry about this because it wont affect baby;s health. namma avan finger edutha vida vida than avanga innum force a try pannuvangalam. after 1 yr also if my son is doing it i il apply neem oil in his fingers. paapoam:)
Hi Gayatri, Yes Neenga Soldrathu Sari. Kulanthainga kaiya vaiyil vaikkum namma eduthu vida koodathunnu solvanga. Ovvoru Stage Marum Pothum Palaya Habit avanga vittuduvanga. Nama Eduthu Vitta than thirumba thirumba vechutte iruppanga.

Pallavi

Friends's of Penmai
Hi frds,
I am also facing the same problem with my 5 months boy if i take his hands means he will pull my hand and suck my fingers in anger. Dr advised not to take his hands leave him.