Citrus fruits, also known as acid fruits, belong to the family called ‘Rutaceae’. Originated around 8,000 years back, somewhere near South-East Asia, today, these fruits are available in almost all countries worldwide. Citrus fruit trees are known as ornamental trees, as they give rise to the citrus fruits of different forms and sizes, ranging from small to large and round to oval. Citrus fruits are tagged with many therapeutic benefits, thanks to the presence of detoxifying ingredients. Rich in Vitamin C, Folate and many other antioxidants, these fruits help the body to keep away from several infections and diseases. Regular intake of citrus fruits, like lemon, orange, pineapple and grapefruits, help secure good health and wellbeing of a person. This article provides you with the various health benefits of citrus fruits.
Health Benefits Of Citrus Fruits
Health Benefits Of Citrus Fruits
- Citrus fruits, especially oranges, are considered to be the best food for skin care. They contain properties like phytonutrients that function as antioxidants, protecting a person from the ravages of free radicals, which alter the chemical structure of the cells. The free radicals damage cells in the skin that lead to the signs of aging. Citrus fruits, with the help of vitamin C and antioxidant properties, help eradicate these free radicals present in the skin.
- Vitamin C present in citrus fruits helps in enhancing the immunity of the body. Daily consumption of citrus fruits will help the body to keep away the germs. Including citrus fruits in your daily diet can help the body to stay away from cold, cough and flu. It also helps in healing wounds.
- Citrus fruits are beneficial for developing strong bones. Studies show that orange juice helps your body absorb both calcium and vitamin D, both being very essential for healthy bones. While calcium is necessary for maintaining and building bones, vitamin D is needed for the body to absorb calcium. Orange is one such fruit that provides the body with both vitamin D and calcium and contributes to the maintenance of healthy bones.
- Citrus fruits consumed after having meat and fatty foods help in the digestion process. In China, orange peel is recommended and served after food, as they believe that it aids in the digestion of rich, fatty foods. One way to digest the food better is by consuming a glass of lime juice. This will help in clearing and removing the roughage that stays behind the intestine. Lime juice can also help in the process of weight loss.
- Citrus peel has been found to lower cholesterol levels, balance blood sugar and activate liver detoxification because of the presence of beneficial compounds, such as polymethosxylated flavones (PMFs) and d-limonene. Studies have shown that the PMFs found in the pigments of orange reduce bad cholesterol, without altering the level of good cholesterol.
- Citrus fruits work as a mood enhancer, as the folate present helps create serotonin - the brain’s happy chemical. Studies show that the citrus smell of fruits like lime, orange and grapefruit can lift the mood and increase energy levels. Essential oils of these fruits can be applied at the back of the neck to enhance alertness.
- Free radicals in the body can prove to be harmful for our retina and can cause cataract, a degenerative eye disorder. The antioxidants present in citrus fruits come to the rescue of retina by neutralizing the damage caused by these free radicals.
- Many people complain of loss of their appetite, which has become a serious health issue for all age groups. Citrus fruits help in increasing the lost appetite of a person. A person suffering from loss of appetite can consume citrus fruit juice as the vitamin C present in the fruit will induce hunger and will help solve the health problem, due to lack of appetite.
- Citrus fruits also help reduce anemia. One of the reasons of anemia can be loss of appetite. As citrus fruits are capable of increasing appetite, they can also help to overcome severe anemia. Citrus fruit juices help in enhancing the appetite of a person providing all the notations to the body and helps in the formation of blood cells.
- Frequent intake of citrus fruits and juices confirm good health of our teeth and gums. Lack of vitamin C in our body makes the teeth weak and gums to bleed, resulting in chronic tooth ache and gum problems. Regular intake of citrus fruits will help reduce the deficiency of vitamin C, thereby assuring the health of our teeth and gums.