Bubble & Squeak Potato Cakes --kids corner

vijigermany

Lord of Penmai
Bubble & Squeak Potato Cakes --kids corner

As a child, I was not very keen on a lot of vegetables, and I´m still not fond of many of them now. I think if my mother had tried this recipe, though, she might actually have been able to persuade me to eat cabbage! Most kids would love these potato cakes if served with some tomato ketchup.

Ingredients:
1/3 cup olive oil
2 green onions (shallots), finely sliced
2 cups finely shredded Chinese cabbage
1 medium carrot, grated
2 cups cold mashed potatoes*
1 egg, lightly beaten
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tbs plain flour
2 tbs butter

*Made with about 600g peeled King Edward, Desiree or Spunta potatoes. Do not add milk or butter to the mashed potatoes.

Directions:
Heat 2 tbs oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Add green onions, cabbage and carrot and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until very tender. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.

Place mashed potatoes in a bowl. Add cabbage mixture, egg, nutmeg and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix until well combined. Form mixture into 8 patties. Dust patties lightly in flour.

Wipe out the frying pan with paper towel. Add remaining 2 tbs oil and butter and heat over medium heat. Cook patties for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden. Drain on paper towel and serve.