Golden Ruler's of Penmai
- Sep 3, 2012
What is Chicken Pox??
Varicella-zoster virus (VZV) is the virus which causes Chicken Pox. It is a contagious illness mainly caused in the children group those below 12 years. The infections are characterized by a fever and itchy, red spots usually appearing on the chest and stomach first, then appearing over the entire body. Chickenpox is an airborne disease spread easily through coughing or sneezing or through direct contact with secretions from the rash. A person with chickenpox is infectious one to two days before the rash appears.
Common symptoms observed for Chicken Pox are :
1. Chickenpox lasts for 7 to 10 days in children and longer in adults.
2. The rash typically appears first on a child’s scalp, face and consists of small, very itchy, flat red spots.
3. High fever lasts for about 3-4 days.
4. The vesicles formed on the body and scalp lasts for about 7 days.
5. An average child aged below 12 yrs with chicken pox gets about 300 lesions.
6. Abdominal pain or loss of appetite.
7. Can be accompanied with headache.
8. Can vomit repeatedly.
9. Has difficulty in walking.
10. Can have severe cough.
Treatment for Chickenpox
1. Oatmeal baths can be taken to reduce itching. Oatmeal baths can be prepared at home also by grinding or blending dry oatmeal into a fine powder and adding about 2 cups to the bath water.
2. Calamine lotion will help to relieve the itching caused by chicken pox.
3. Keep the patient in cold surroundings as heat and sweat may make the itching worse.
4. Keep the nails short or make the patient wear gloves to prevent him from scratching the blisters.
5. Infected person should remain home-bound as he/she can spread the disease.
6. Drink cold fluids.
7. Avoid any foods that are spicy, hot, or acidic.
8. Consult a child specialist.
Home Remedies for Chicken Pox