Silver Ruler's of Penmai
- Jun 28, 2011
If you are caring for an elderly loved one at home, you should make them as comfortable and safe as possible. This can reduce stress for you, as well as, your loved-one. They have their dignity and they deserve full respect. So please remember to make them feel important.
- Ask what they want to eat. Don't just serve whatever you feel like serving.
- Sit beside them and ask their childhood memories. This will surely feel them happy.
- Ask how they feel. Listen to them complain about their aches and pains. Let them complain all they want. You don't need to cure them. You just need to listen.
- Play games with them. Card games, dice games, board games... keep them thinking.
- Ask them where they would like to go. This will make them feel happy & refreshing.
- Give them their own space as much as possible. Give them their own room with a TV, phone, etc. If you can't do that, at least make sure they have a chair that belongs to them and only them and put it near a window with a little table, whatever. Just give them some space that is their own.
- Offer to read to them. Or get them some books on tape. Or let them listen to the radio. Or get your kids to sing to them.
- Ask for their advice! They will have experience. They love knowing that you care about their opinion. Ask for their advice and listen to what they say! They are usually right!
- Ask them to do small things for you, such as folding laundry, clearing doubts in lessons of your children.
- Tell them you love them every day. Tell them you appreciate them every day. Tell they they are a joy to have in your life every day. Tell them you are lucky to be the one to care for them every day. You never know when it will be your last day to tell them these things.