Ruler's of Penmai
- May 24, 2010
- Folic acid also known as folate is a water soluble vitamin and comes from the family of vitamin B. It is vital for the healthy development of bones of the foetus. It is equally important for the strength and health of the bones of the mother carrying the baby. Studies have proved that intake of folic acid supplements is beneficial for a pregnant woman as well as her baby.
- Folic acid is known to prevent birth defects such as spina bifida which is a neutral-tube defect.
- This vitamin is crucial for the development of DNA which defines the body’s genetic characteristics. It plays a major role in the growth and development of cells and formation of tissues.
- Folic acid is essential for the production and functioning of certain chemical components of the nervous system and also for proper and normal functioning of the brain.
- Folic acid is vital for the production of red blood cells. A woman needs extra blood during the months of her pregnancy. A folate deficiency along with deficiency of iron may cause anaemia which results in weakness and a feeling of tiredness in the pregnant woman. The pregnant lady may also suffer from certain digestive disorders and headaches. As a result, she may become irritable and edgy. This is detrimental not only for her but also the foetus. For delivering a healthy baby is very important for a mother to stay happy during her pregnancy.
- Women found deficient in this essential mineral are at a greater risk of miscarriage and in worst cases, stillbirths.