Silver Ruler's of Penmai
- Jun 28, 2011
Tips to generate Child's interest in Reading Books
Reading books is a habit that must be cultivated right from childhood. Some children are born with a natural flair of reading books but in most, it has to be introduced and encouraged but can never be forced. The concept of bed time stories originated because of this. It helps to a great extent. The pre school age when the child is not even familiar with the art of reading or writing should be read these stories at night. One can gradually begin with fairy tales. These help in drawing a child's attention to books initially. Next come the picture stories whereby a child can create a story from pictures. Reading habits are of two types like reading study book just to pass annual examinations and another is to read books including own study books. If the second is your question then I have to say that leave it on your kids.He will do his best just to pass the annual examination. But remember that they dont read for his own purpose like gather knowledge and this is most unimportant to him to make habit of reading.
But if you want to know how to create habit of reading `in the childhood then you must be very cautious not to force the child to make reading habit. If you are a regular reader of books then you will not to face problem because on seeing you be may be a good reader of books.It will be automatically injected in him but if you are not a regular reader then my suggestion is pls stop viewing TV and discuss different matters with your kids and seek his opinion. Then either he will consult with his fellow students doctor or with his private tutor or go to library to find out his opinion. You also try to make this habit then start reading. On seeing you your kids may be influenced and be with you always.
Developing interest of reading books in children is an art. Parents need to take care right from the age of three or so when the child learns to recognize the alphabets and numbers. This can be done by showing colourful pictures to them. Children should be taught at this age to build 3 letters words and identify the same with relevant pictures. And also number games should be taught to them by picking up the marbles of some play materials cubes or something like that. For example, we can write the number 3 and tell the children to pick up 3 marbles or cubes.
When the child starts regular schooling, the routine home works by way of doing work sheet and reading text books will automatically develop the interest of reading in the children.
At this stage, we can show them the comics, read it out to them, make them understand. First, find out the interest of the child whether they are interested in historic tales,fairy tales,stories on mythology or spider man, superman or whatever. According to that we can buy colorful and illustrative books and make the children listen and then read the same. We can also bring the interest of geography in the children by showing them maps and playing games with Atlas by identifying the name of the places in different maps.
Parents are the key factors to motivate children.It is the universally accepted truth that about 90% of characters in children are same as their parents and why not parents are the only dictator of that particular child to know the mystery of this world.
My main theme is that the best way to motivate a child towards righteous or other aspects as towards studies is the parents.
To motivate your children towards studies just go through the following few steps :
1. If your child can now understand what you tell him/her that start reading out loud from a story book to him .Choose those books that has large font . Read for 10 to 15 minutes . And then give the book to him to play with . He will like to grab the book , and love it .
2. Tell lots of stories , while eating , at bed-time or any-time . And say you have found all those stories in books . Discuss interesting topics with grown up children. And encourage them to know more . Plan a 30 minutes get together every evening when every member of family will tell what interesting he had learn today . This will encourage them to read more .
3. Try to know his interests: Many kids like the stories which can take them to fascinating places.If your child is interested in sports,then buy him a children sports magazine or a biography of his/her favorite player Keep trying until you find whatever ignites that spark of interest.For parents you can buy and follow Mary Leonhard's 99 Ways to Get Kids to Love Reading and 100 Books They'll love.
4. You should see every books are safe.Let him read books which he likes at that time.When he read something don't interrupt saying to read other book.
Don't show disappointment when your child doesn't stick with a book.
5. As we know that children are more likely to play some kinds of games, watching TVs, cartoon programs etc. The main work to do is that guide them in their games and TV-cartoon programs and try them to feel some kind of knowledge is hidden.