healthy food menu for pregnant women

please friends, share here the healthy food menu for pregnant women. i am confused with what to eat or what to avoid. though i have read a lot from books, i need guideance from experience moms.

sumitra

Ruler's of Penmai
Blogger
dear ramyakannan. better go and consult your doctor. because he / she will check your physical conditions, bp, sugar, weight and so many factors before suggesting a healthy diet for you. thanks

sumathisrini

Silver Ruler's of Penmai
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi Ramya Kannan,

Keep your diet natural, fresh and hygienic. Do avoid the foods rich in excessive salt, fat, and preservatives throughout your pregnancy. Increase your intake of fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. You can take dates & drumstick leaves (Murungai keerai) which will give iron supplement. You will be recommended with caloric intake of 200-300 calories per day during pregnancy, 550mg extra calcium and 100 mg iron, but the numbers depend upon your situation. Though iron and calcium supplement is already given to pregnant women after 16 weeks of pregnancy, when the actual demand starts but meeting these demands from diet is of equal importance.

As there may be a feeling of nausea, a pregnant woman can not have a full meal at one time, so it is necessary to go for frequent light meals.

A pregnant woman should take three to four servings of milk or dairy products, five to ten servings of vegetables and fruits, five to twelve servings of bread, cereals, rice or pasta, two to three servings of meat, fish, poultry,dried beans, eggs or nuts and at least 6 to 8 glasses of liquids. This can be divided into breakfast, lunch, dinner and evening snacks.

There should not be a gap of more than 2 hours. Coffee and tea should be avoided and a pregnant woman should have at least one fruit early in the morning.

Wishing you happy pregnancy journey :thumbsup.

Last edited:

Important Announcements!

Type in Tamil

Click here to go to Google transliteration page. Type there in Tamil and copy and paste it.