nutrition food during pregnancy

jv_66

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Congratulations for your pregnancy , Shyamala.

You can take the following nutritious foods:

1. Milk and all the dairy products.

2. Cereals, whole grains, dals, pulses and nuts like almonds, walnut etc.,and not cashew.

3.All kind of green and colored vegetables, and fruits.In vegetables, you can avoid papaya.

4.Fluids - drink plenty of water and all fresh fruit juices.

5. Meat, fish and poultry.

thank you jayanthy sister.. for your kind suggestion. i heard that pregnant ladies should not consume fish.. is that true or only some fish is exception

sumathisrini

Silver Ruler's of Penmai
Staff member
Super Moderator

GayathriArun

Friends's of Penmai
Dear Shyamala,

When i was pregnant doctor advised me to have 300gms of fish per week which are less in mercury. After listening to the doctor i made a research in the internet and found that it is a proved medical fact that the children of 8 year old whose mothers consumed 300-350 gms of fish (less in mercury) during pregnancy are high in IQ, no distractions during tests and have good concentration and memory. So i made it a point to have 300 gms of fish per weel throughout my pregnancy.

Omega 3 and B vitamins in the fish are a good choice for pregnant woman but the contaminants like merury in the fish can affect the brain development of the foetus.

One most important thing to be noted is, you should find out few varieties of fish less in mercury and consume it. In my case, i had Mackerel, Herring and Butterfish since these are extremely low in mercury. You can have omega 3 suppliment also.

GayathriArun

Friends's of Penmai
Jayanthi mam had given you a good list in a simpler way.

Also have anything and everything you like to have and enjoy your pregnancy!

sumitra

Ruler's of Penmai
Blogger
Dear Shyamala,

If you
Want maximum nutrition during your pregnancy, Make sure these super foods are in your diet.

Whole grains

Enriched, whole-grain breads and cereals are fortified with folic acid and iron and have more fiber than white bread and rice. Work whole grains into your day: oatmeal for breakfast, a sandwich on whole-grain bread at lunch, and whole-wheat pasta or brown rice for dinner.
Beans

Add black beans, white beans, pinto beans, lentils, black-eyed peas, and kidney, garbanzo, or soy beans to your diet. Try them in chili and soups, salads, and pasta dishes. Besides providing protein and fiber, they are also good sources of key nutrients, such as iron, folate, calcium, and zinc.

Salmon

Omega-3 fatty acids are good for your baby's brain and eyes, and salmon is a great source. Plus it provides protein and B vitamins. Salmon is also relatively low in mercury compared to other fish. Try it grilled, broiled, or on a salad. You can safely eat up to 12 ounces of low-mercury fish, such as salmon, per week.

Eggs

Eggs are versatile and a good source of protein that provides amino acids you and your baby need. They contain more than a dozen vitamins and minerals, including choline, which is good for baby's brain development. However, be sure not to eat undercooked or raw eggs.

Berries

Blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries are delicious snacks and taste great in pancakes and on top of cereal. Berries are packed with vitamin C, potassium, folate, and fiber.

Low-fat yogurt

One cup of plain, low-fat yogurt has more calcium than milk, is high in protein, and doesn’t have the added sugar of flavored yogurts. Dress it up with fruit or crunchy, whole-grain cereal.

kirthika99

Guru's of Penmai
Blogger
Excellent sharing frnds, Thanks!!

Eggs are versatile and a good source of protein that provides amino acids you and your baby need, they contain more than a dozen vitamins and minerals, including choline, which is good for baby's brain development.....

Important Announcements!

Type in Tamil

Click here to go to Google transliteration page. Type there in Tamil and copy and paste it.