Penmai's Fathers Day Special Contest - அன்புள்ள அப்பா!

vidhanya

Friends's of Penmai
Dearest Appa,

Hope this letter finds you and amma in the pink of your health. You may be wondering why this letter now when am going to meet you in less than 10 days… But as with every woman in a foreign country vacation mood sets well in advance for your dotty too. The kids may be wondering whats with amma not being her usual self but they know me well enough to guess that its that time of the year!! LOL! They too are already in the holiday mood.

Appa, not a minute passes for me without thinking of you and amma, and I know we are just a heart beat away, but distance definitely needs to be given its due credit. I still remember the day when I broke the news to you that your SIL changed his job which needs a relocation, how you could not come to terms with it telling that you specifically searched for a groom working in Chennai just so we could meet whenever we want and look now what’s happening but I honestly didn’t feel much that time.. after coming to the new place only the epiphany hits and of course needless to say it was not easy every small incident reminds me of you and amma…

Do you know how the first spousal squabble after the wedding ended- by me telling him that you promised my appa that you would take good care of me better than him with tears… (don’t get worked up now worrying if your daughter suffered- after me childishly telling him this, do I need to say the fight got ended with his thunderous laughter and to date he would pull my legs that I behaved like a kg kid) But what I did not tell him is that there is no one who could love or care for me more than my parents…

The other day elder one came to me with her grievances of school and I like every other day worried my A is so naive unlike kids of this generation – how is she going to fight this world? And as always your words came to my rescue and put my my mind at ease.. Do you remember you used to say “Don’t try to change a deer to a lion, instead teach the deer the necessary survival tactics for self preservation”

The younger one is different in her own way- I do not know how to teach her kindness is more important than righteousness—picking up fight wherever she goes— unlike you patience is not one of my traits. But taking a moment to think how my appa would have reacted to this always helps to certain extent. You were always a doer rather than a talker and that’s why may be few principles are deeply instilled in us.
You always took the thorns to give us only the roses yet never forgot to teach us if you want roses you need to take the thorns too… your favourite slogan “no pain no gain” is what I tell your grand daughters whenever they dither to do few things.

How much have you toiled for us appa.. even from the meagre salary of yours and ammas you almost always fulfilled our wishes… without me telling, you would buy books for me saying book reading is a positive addiction and always encouraged it though given our family circumstances that was a luxury at those days without bothering murmurs from amma… how you pedaled your cycle in the hot sun to get me thavala vadai from a specific shop in T.nagar saying that noon is the time they put it freshly, your erratic work timings never allowed you to spend time with us in the weekdays but you always made up to us on Sundays not resting even on the only free day given to you.. how you would massage my legs whenever I cry of leg pain which was very common and frequent in growing years.. when I took a course much to the dissatisfaction of everyone at home you were strong as a rock to support me and even after growing up and getting married it was you who had my back in all the ups and downs.. had it not been for you I cant imagine how I would have come out of the very rough sails of my life… You taught your kids how to be stronger through the downs of life.

I never apologized to you for my immature behavior of avoiding you for more than 6 months over a very petty issue. That to me is a surprise till date, how could have I been so rude to the one man who loves me more than himself… Sorry appa – you wouldn’t like your daughter apologizing but…

If I can teach my kids empathy and integrity which you regarded as the most important qualities I would be very happy. Wish me good luck appa.

Always praying god for yours and ammas good health.

With love
Daddy’s little girl ever

vidhanya

Friends's of Penmai
Dear Penmai Thank you for this contest. These are things which we can never say to our dads in person nonetheless we always feel... penning this down gives a lot of mental satisfaction. A contest where nothing can be fabricated but its only the heart which is writing...

Thank you so much.

Vimalthegreat

Minister's of Penmai
நான் எதையோ படிக்க தேட போய் இந்த கவிதை என்னை தேடி வந்தது:love:.
Just to cheer you all I'm sharing here dearies:)

On the beach at night,
Stands a child with her father,
Watching the east, the autumn sky.

Up through the darkness,
While ravening clouds, the burial clouds, in black masses spreading,
Lower sullen and fast athwart and down the sky,
Amid a transparent clear belt of ether yet left in the east,
Ascends large and calm the lord-star Jupiter,
And nigh at hand, only a very little above,
Swim the delicate sisters the Pleiades.

From the beach the child holding the hand of her father,
Those burial-clouds that lower victorious soon to devour all,
Watching, silently weeps.

Weep not, child,
Weep not, my darling,
With these kisses let me remove your tears,
The ravening clouds shall not long be victorious,
They shall not long possess the sky, they devour the stars only in apparition,
Jupiter shall emerge, be patient, watch again another night, the Pleiades shall emerge,
They are immortal, all those stars both silvery and golden shall shine out again,
The great stars and the little ones shall shine out again, they endure,
The vast immortal suns and the long-enduring pensive moons shall again shine.

Then dearest child mournest thou only for Jupiter?
Considerest thou alone the burial of the stars?

Something there is,
(With my lips soothing thee, adding I whisper,
I give thee the first suggestion, the problem and indirection,)
Something there is more immortal even than the stars,
(Many the burials, many the days and nights, passing away,)
Something that shall endure longer even than lustrous Jupiter
Longer than sun or any revolving satellite,
Or the radiant sisters the Pleiades.

-Walt Whitman

Abundance of Thanks and loads of love flows from my heart for the great poet...Thank you once again Mr.Walt:love::love::love:

எந்த மொழியானாலும் classical literature படிக்கும்போது மனம் அடையும் சுகம் அலாதியானது தான் என்று மற்றுமொருமுறை நிரூபணமானது.
சில வரிகள் நைட் தூக்கத்துல கூட நான் இந்த கவிதை வாசிக்கும்போது போது கேட்ட என் குரலே எனக்குள் ஒலிக்கிற போல இருந்தது.

கவிதை பற்றி உணர்ந்தது பிறிதொரு ஆறுதலான சமயத்தில் நான் இங்கே பதிவிடுகிறேன். In the mean time யாரவது முடிஞ்சா கவிதையை தமிழ்ப்படுத்த முயற்சியுங்கள். கவிதையின் ஒரு சில வரிகள் படிக்கும் போதே தமிழில் எனக்குள் உருமாறிய போது உருக தான் வைத்தது. முழு கவிதையும் முடிந்தால் நானே translate செய்து ஒருநாள் இங்கே பகிர்கிறேன்.

gowrymohan

Ruler's of Penmai
Blogger
அருமையான தலைப்பு :).

நன்றி கார்த்தி. நேரம் கிடைத்தால் நிச்சயம் பங்குகொள்வேன் :).

Penmai

admin@penmai.com
Staff member
Administrator
Dear Friends,

The Affectionate entries of our members was truly amazing. Good memories and thoughts have poured in and Very much happy to note that there were some thoughtful perspectives written. We would like to say thanks to all for such a splendid participation. And the Winner is @vidhanya.

Congratulations Vidhanya. Here's the gift for you.
1531290436248.png
Note:
Please email your Indian Postal Address with Phone no. to support@penmai.com or private message to Penmai Support Team. Once you received the gift please confirm the same.

narayani80

Commander's of Penmai
Dear Friends,

The Affectionate entries of our members was truly amazing. Good memories and thoughts have poured in and Very much happy to note that there were some thoughtful perspectives written. We would like to say thanks to all for such a splendid participation. And the Winner is @vidhanya.

Congratulations Vidhanya. Here's the gift for you.
View attachment 289584
Note:
Please email your Indian Postal Address with Phone no. to support@penmai.com or private message to Penmai Support Team. Once you received the gift please confirm the same.
Congrats Vidhanya.

well written.

hiranmayi

Friends's of Penmai
@vidhanya congrats. I read your entry long back at the time of contest itself but
somehow missed to comment how beautiful it was. My chest became a little tight after reading. Fathers are special and your entry brought it out well. :):)

Friends all your entries were beautiful and emotional.