Silver Ruler's of Penmai
- Jun 28, 2011
Lot of people now a days struggle when it comes to getting sound sleep.
Sleep is the mechanism of mind to give relaxation to body and mind. The most important per-requisite for a good sleep is 'calm mind'. Mind should be free of thoughts then only one can have a good sleep. The most important reason why people don't get sound sleep is STRESS, in other words, too many thoughts in the mind at the same time. The remedy lies in countering too many thoughts. Following things can be done to get good sleep.
1) Always prefer east direction for sleeping. That means that the head should be facing towards east direction and legs towards west.
2) Keep some saunf (fennel seeds) tied in a red cloth under your pillow. You don't need to change saunf every day. If you have nightmares in the night, keep some alum under your pillow.
3) Keep a glass of water towards your head side under or near your bed. After waking up in the morning, pour this water in a plant or tree.
4) When you go to bed, take 5 minutes with yourself. Think about your day. What did you do well and what you did not do well. Tell yourself that you would improve in the areas where you did not do well during the day.
5) Sit in silence and recite Gayatri Mantra once. For those who don't know what the mantra is, it is given below
Om Bhurbhuva Swaha, Tatsvitur Varenyam
Bhargo Devasya Dhimahi
Dhiyo yonaha Pracho Dayaat
Meaning of the mantra:
We meditate upon the spiritual effulgence of that adorable supreme divine reality
Who is the source of the physical, the astral and the heavenly spheres of existence.
May that supreme divine being enlighten our intellect, so that we may realize the supreme truth
6) Now, recite this shanti mantra once with complete silence and concentration.
OM Sarveshaam Svastir Bhavatu,
Sarveshaam Shaantir Bhavatu
Sarveshaam Poornam Bhavatu,
Sarveshaam Mangalam Bhavatu
Sarve Bhavantu Sukhinah,
Sarve Santu Niraamayaah
Sarve Bhadraani Pashyantu,
Maa Kashchid Dukh Bhaag-Bhavet
Om Shanti, Shanti, Shantihi.
Meaning of Mantra:
May there be Well-Being in All,
May there be Peace in All,
May there be Fulfilment in All,
May there be Auspiciousness in All,
Om Peace, Peace, Peace.
You should actually realize the meaning of this mantra and pray for the universal peace and harmony.
7) Recite the following mantra for at least 3 times. While the above two mantras are just supportive mantras, this mantra is specifically for good sleep.
Shuddhe Shuddhe Mahaa Yogini Mahaa Nidre Swaahaa
After this, go to sleep immediately.
Note: Watching television is the biggest enemy of sound sleep. Most of what is shown on the TV now a days is very negative and these negative emotions enter in the sub conscious mind and hamper good sleep. So, as far as possible avoid watching negative things on TV like violent/horror movies, serials, cartoons, video games etc.