teachers scolding students do we need to complaint about this

U

Unregistered

my daughter is good in her studies. she is studying 2nd standard. suddenly yesterday while talking about her school she said that her match teacher is scolding students (not only her other students also) as idiot.

i had heard many good things about the school so only we joined her in that school. for us value is more important than studies. i need my daughter to be good in her character more than her studies.

do we need to complain about this in her school or we need to leave it.

Moderator Note:

This Article has been published in Penmai eMagazine October 2017. You Can download & Read the magazines HERE.

Last edited by a moderator:

anbupurush

Friends's of Penmai
Hi
Yes, Value is more important than studies, for our kids. Children's role model is their teachers.

In this case I think you cannot complaint directly to the school, because, one of my friend has complaint about her daughters' teacher, the teacher has ignored the child for the whole year. This will definitely hurt her.

But now-a-days, we can interact with other parents, and if you can contact other parents and as a group you can take this issue to the school, so that your child will not be identified.

Moderator Note:

This Article has been published in Penmai eMagazine October 2017. You Can download & Read the magazines HERE.

Hi
child having issues with a teacher is a tricky situation. I totally agree with anbu teachers don't take it positively even if we put it to them in the most diplomatic way and take it out on the kids barring a very few exceptions. Before that do ensure if your child meant it really or was being playful. I don't say your child lied to you but sometime children do pass funny remarks. So double check with your child and cross check with a parent or two whom you are comfortable or trust. If you are having a WhatsApp group for parents of your child's class don't ever enquire it in the group as there are every chances that one or few parents may be close or related to the teacher and might tell about you or the kid. If I were in your shoes I will call the principal and tell her the issue and ask her to maintain you as an anonymous source to the teacher. If you go and meet the principal along with parents again there are good chances for the teacher to know it's you and the other parents who have complained. So best option is to call or message the principal or if you can meet the principal without the teachers notice then you can go along with other parents. Be prepared for the principal to give you an earful that these words are k because there are principals who defend their school teachers no matter what. See what all we have to think. If teachers who have to shape the kids future are like this then what can one do. All the best. Handle it really diplomatically because teachers do keep that in mind and treat the kid badly. Change of school for one issue will not solve the issue because you don't know what is waiting for you in the other school.

Moderator Note:

bhrcm

Friends's of Penmai
Hi Mam,

Sharing my views .....

Please find out whether the teacher scold kids for no reason or when they do some mistakes.

If the teacher is behaving harsh or scolding kids for no reason then it needs management notice the sooner the possible. As said by others try to raise the issue as a group not alone. When you do it alone not just the teacher might show grudge on the kid, even management will give serious thought when they get complaint from many than from one.

If the teacher is scolding kids for their mistakes(though the word is strong for the kids) you can visit the school and talk to the teacher in person. Many schools give time weekly/monthly for parents to meet teachers. When you talk to her/him in person you can easily find out the attitude and personality of the teacher. You can ask about your daughters performance and also say 'she feels upset when she is scolded'. When you talk F2F your tone and body language plays important role than words. So if you can communicate in a friend way then it might not backfire at your daughter and also the teacher will get know that you are aware of what happens in school. In most cases when they get to know they are watched they try to change their behaviour in positive way.

If this does not change the teachers behaviour then this can be raised in PTA meetings.

---Bhargavi

Moderator Note:

U

Unregistered

Hi!

The issue of complaining against teachers in the school is a very sensitive issue and has to be handled very tactfully. This is all the more so if there are no cctv cameras in the classroom.

As pointed out in the earlier two posts, the reaction of the teachers, who will be usually on temporary contract basis, may be very negative as their employment itself may be lost or they may not get confirmation or increment etc. You must be aware that the intention is not to punish the teacher but help her change her attitude in the treatment of students, esp. young kids in their formative years.

Please find out if there are complaint boxes in classrooms or in other places where anonymous complaints can be put. This will only ensure negative boomeranging of your complaint on your child but not the aspect relating to the negative consequences on the services of the concerned teacher.

As suggested by others, you may meet the concerned teacher in PTAs and get acquainted and then personally invite her over to your house and in a social environment you may very subtly suggest to her the bad effects of scolding.

You must also realize that teachers are also under lot of stress as they are over-burdened with work and handing of so many kids in the class and pressured to complete the syllabus in the required time, to set papers for the various tests, to do the correction etc. And they do this work as a family compulsion may times and for a very meager amount.
Sometimes as parents we find it difficult to manage our own child when there is a vacation for more than 3 days at a stretch. So, be aware of the difficulties of being a teacher. sometimes they may be having some health/family problem. I have heard of one Principal who used to enquire the teachers what they have cooked for breakfast and lunch and when the teachers give the list of items prepared, she would ask the teachers, "Now tell me where will you have the energy to run the class after all this work at home? I'm paying for you to perform HERE, not at home and come and relax here."

Actually your focus should be on the ill-effects of the negative NLP (neuro-linguistic programming) that is happening by repetitive suggestions of "idiot" day in and day out on the impressionable young minds. You may gather some information and share it with the HM/Principal so that all the teachers are also sensitized on the issue.

Try to spend more quality time with your child and help her understand that she has great potential and is very intelligent by appreciating every small mental effort and try to de-condition her mind into positive attitude. Unlearning is difficult but it can be done.

If all things fail, please think of changing the school.

Happy days ahead!

Moderator Note: