Walking is the best medicine

vijigermany

Lord of Penmai
Walking is the best medicine

Don’t Indians walk for even 30 minutes in a day? If a recent survey conducted by the Public Health Foundation and the World Heart Foundation is to be believed, the answer is that they do not.

The foundation, which interviewed 1,021 adults above 18 years of age, has found that 46 per cent of the people they spoke to did not walk for 30 minutes every day. Not only that, they didn’t understand the concept of brisk walking.

Brisk walking means walking four kilometers in 60 minutes and breaking into a sweat. When this happens, the heart muscles become strong and are able to pump blood to all the parts of the body.

The concept of brisk walking is to also evaluate the physical fitness of the body. Physical fitness is when the body does not get exhausted or tired too easily after walking three to four kilometers. Sometimes, some people become breathless while climbing stairs, a sign of “poor physical fitness”.

Earlier studies have shown that walking reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases as it makes the heart muscles strong.

‘Cheapest way to stay healthy’ : Dr Narsaiah, laparoscopic and bariatric surgeon
Walking should not be seen as a separate activity. It is an essential part of human evolution. Earlier people walked for miles and miles.

Even in modern times, walking can be integrated in today’s activities, like walking from home to the shop, walking to the bus stop, climbing the stairs, avoiding lifts, walking to the office — if it’s not too far.

All these activities show that walking is the cheapest and best method to commute to nearby places.

Dr B. Narsaiah, laparoscopic and bariatric surgeon, Star Hospitals, explained, “What was once an essential part of our lives has now taken a back seat. Now with ‘phone the kirana’ we have completely taken away an active part of our lives and become extremely sedentary. By the time people realise that they are missing out on something, they are already at the brink of disease, either obesity, diabetes or hypertension. Most of the remedies begin after the disease strikes. Preventive measures are taken by very few.”

‘Need to follow a diet plan too’ : Dr B.G.K. Sudhakar, interventional cardiologist

After walking three to four kilometers every day, people must avoid the habit of indulging in fried foods, pizzas, burgers or heavy junk foods. The attitude, I can eat ‘how much ever’ or ‘whatever I want’ and then sweat it out, does not help”.

Dr B.G.K. Sudhakar, interventional cardiologist, Kamineni Hospitals says, “Walking is not an exercise for people who binge on an everyday basis. The reason is simple. It has no impact on the body as the food habits have not changed at all. If the person is really serious, especially after 40, the priorities should be exercise and also reducing portions of their food. Eat simple food, which will keep you healthy and free from diseases.”

‘It does not ensure drastic weight loss’ :Dr Shiv Kumar, cardiologist
Yes, walking is good for the heart, but it does not guarantee disappearance of pot bellies.

A brisk walk will merely burn 150 calories in a day. But what is required apart from walking is a very strict need for people within the age group of 30 to 50 years to indulge in some form of exercise — yoga, aerobics, gymming and a strict diet.

People today have much difficulty controlling their weight. Hence, it is becoming essential to drill into them that they must burn what they eat.

The reason is most of them suffer from the ‘X’ syndrome. Dr Shiv Kumar, director, cardiology, Apollo Hospitals, says, “X syndrome is high blood pressure , high sugars, high triglycerides and abdominal obesity. One of the main causes is stress and lack of physical activity, which disturbs the delicate hormonal balance of H P A (Hypothalmic-Pitutary-Adrenal axis), as a result of which people develop abdominal obesity. In women, weight gain occurs at puberty, after marriage, use of contraceptive pills, pregnancy and also during menopause. Hormonal cyclical variation is also a reason.”

Yes!
Morning walk is best way to stay healthy and its very benefcial for a good health.But avoid fataty things and eat fresh and healhty fruits ,vegetables and drink green tea for better circulation of blood in your body.

I agree, walking not only good for health but also to make you fresh and energetic.

There is the reason why they say that walking is the best medicine because walking is the only exercise or activity which flexes every muscle of body, essentially warming each part and making you healthy step by step. A 30 minute walk is a must recommended activity in each one's life.

Last edited by a moderator:

nsumitha

Citizen's of Penmai
interesting info. thanks for sharing. I agree

srikumarsavi

Commander's of Penmai
Blogger
The attitude, I can eat ‘how much ever’ or ‘whatever I want’ and then sweat it out, does not help”.
Well said

I am 100% agree with you that walking is the best option for body fitness and to be always fit